Subhash Browser & Feed Reader
app for Android
Subhash Browser is an Android web browser app with an integrated RSS reader, file explorer and download manager. It is the ultimate browser and feed reader app for both ordinary users and Web developers. As a true Made-In-India app, Subhash Browser bundles an unbelievably huge number of features in a small package and requires only 3 app permissions. I challenge anyone to show me a browser app that does more!
Subhash Browser supports all Android versions from 1.6 (Donut) to the latest 9 (Pie) and works with phones, tablets and Android TV. It also supports outdated devices that are unable to access 'https' sites with newer SSL certificates. For this reason, it should not be used for financial transactions or other mission-critical activities. Subhash Browser is solely meant for casual browsing.
- Subhash browser combines a Web browser, an RSS feed reader and a read-only file explorer in one Android app - the only one.
- Subhash Browser is the first Android browser to provide UI in Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada, Hindi and Urdu in addition to the default English.
- Subhash Browser uses a dark theme to minimize battery usage and eye strain.
- The browser interface is extremely customizable - from fully loaded to no-chrome fullscreen. You can shake the device to hide/display its toolbar.
- The function-packed toolbar removes all guesswork and delay.
- Web pages on a mobile can be very long. Four scroll buttons help you move swiftly up and down a web page.
- You can easily capture screen and fullpage snaphots. There is even a 5-second delay option to get the toolbar away.
- Nasty websites surprise you with unsuitable images. Now, you can quickly and indiscriminately hide all images using a button.
- You can disguise this mobile browser as a desktop browser (such as Internet Explorer) or a device such as Iphone or Ipad. You can also specify your own useragent (UA) string.
- This is first browser with special support for web developers
- Unlike most (control-freak) apps, Subhash Browser will happily let you open the current web page in another installed browser.
- If you are a Web developer, you can extend browser functionality with your own User JS or User CSS (stylesheets) or have fun with built-in ones. (Read my article on CodeProject.com for more information.)
- The feed reader - for reading content from all your favourite news sites, blogs, forums and other websites in one place. All good websites publish their updated content in an RSS or ATOM feed. Just find their feed link and add it to the feed reader.
- Title filters in the RSS feed reader reduces information overload.
- Example 1: All India Radio's podcast feed has thrice-a-day news bulletins in 20+ languages but you can filter it down to a few.
- Example 2: You can filter discounts for select items, not the 100+ categories that DesiDime.com website has info on.
- Subhash Browser app works great with my Subhash TweetsToRSS app. TweetsToRSS is a personal Twitter web server that runs unobtrusively in the background. It can generate rich RSS feeds & lag-free clutter-free HTML search results. You can even limits tweets to a location specified by its geographical coordinates.
- 25 search engines – all customizable and replaceable. Make obsessively nosy search engines less evil! There are many alternatives like DuckDuckGo.
- A home-screen widget to preview your web feeds.
- Launch websites directly from the home screen using shortcuts!
- There is a separate download manager screen. Podcast MP3 audio and other file downloads can be paused and resumed. The download manager also displays MD5 and SHA1 checksum file hashes.
- Subhash Browser does all this with just three permissions! All it needs is Internet access, local storage access and install shortcuts! (You can rename the app to [ANY-NAME-YOU-SPECIFY] Browser and the app will install a shortcut on the home screen with that new name.) All options that reveal your tracks are disabled by default, despite the risk of the app appearing less useful than it is. Moreover, there are no ads, no nags, no annoyances, no spying, no logging, no error collection - absolutely no nonsense. I developed this app for my own use and and I have ensured it to be least annoying and most useful. Switch to Subhash Browser & Feed Reader today!
Download & Installation
You will have to first enable installation of non-store apps from the Android menu:
- Settings » Security » Unknown Sources or
- Settings » Apps and notifications » Special access » Install other apps
You can then download and run this APK installer. After completing the installation, you should disable the above setting.
For pre-Android BlackBerry devices, you need to convert this APK file to BAR format and use the DDPB software for installation of the BAR file.
- How to use Subhash Browser and Subhash TweetsToRSS
This video was in part inspired by news reports of cannibalistic attacks caused by inappropriate use of bath salts.
- Add custom search engines
- Run/apply user scripts & user styles on any webpage
You can follow the development updates of Subhash Browser & Feed Reader
on my blog at