Over the last few days, I have automated the ebook-creation process.
- Added a Caja Actions menu to right-click a HTML file and check if it complies to XHTML Strict.
- Created new shell scripts to create eBooks from the XHTML files — for all my books that have ebook editions.
- Created a script to convert 300-dpi PNG images from the already automated paperback-creation process to 96-dpi JPEG images for the ebook process.
- Created a common backlist content for all ebooks.
Remaining manual steps:
- Convert the HTML from the PDF paperback process to XHTML.
- Change all image references of PNG images to those of JPEG images.
Calibre is amazingly fast. An ebook takes only 2-3 seconds to create. Calibre's command-line version can convert all my ebooks in the time it takes me to manually create one ebook using the GUI version. I used to dread finding mistakes. Now, making a change and then updating the EPUB takes only a few seconds.